Wednesday, October 20, 2010

(Window) Well Well Well

Last weekend my good neighbor Sid, who runs an egress window installation business, helped me install my egress window and build my window well! Yay! I had been a bit worried that I might not get that done before I head home. It turned out so nicely and felt so good to put the work into it and see instant progress. We worked Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning to get the well done and the window installed. Then I spent a few more hours Sunday back-filling the area with dirt so the ground will slope away from the house to divert water. It took many wheel barrow loads to get the job done, but I felt great.

Here is the window well with the first few courses of timbers installed to keep the dirt away from the window.

Here is a vantage showing the pit around the window.

Sid was kind enough to snap a picture of me putting in the last two timbers.

Here is me installing my very first window.

Here I am in my basement, happy to have a new window :-)

Here it is after all of the literally dirty work. It came out so beautifully. It is terraced from the inside up to the top with two big steps. Each step is framed in with a 5 by 6 timber and each has an 8 inch by about 50 in area of dirt. I've purchased purple iris bulbs I plan to plant tomorrow so when I'm in the basement, I'll be able to look out at springtime flowers.

After finishing the window well, I was rewarded with a bald eagle sighting next to Diamond Lake on the short drive back to Paul's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment