Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Happy Duck Day

For Sarah's eighth birthday on Sunday, October tenth, she went on her annual super-special day with Dad birthday duck hunting trip. And how lucky was I to go along this year as the official trip photographer? Very lucky indeed. After a breakfast that was as yummy as it was early, we drove far far away (6 miles) to the mighty Mississippi River and put Paul's boat in before sunrise.

Sarah had hot chocolate to keep her warm, though I think it was better just as a tasty treat that day. It was unseasonably warm! We were all dressed up, but it was more to keep us camouflaged than warm.


Once the boat was in the water, we drove by flashlight down the winding narrow river for a little while. Paul found a good spot and we threw a bunch of plastic decoy ducks in the water to try to trick the real ducks into hanging out with their friends. One of the decoys even had motorized flappy wings. Then Paul rammed the boat up into some reeds which we then pulled over the boat to hide. Here is cousin Paul, waiting quietly.


The sunrise was very pretty and serene.

Here's Paul calling in the ducks.

The face net was doubly handy for hiding my skin color while keeping out the seventeen million mosquitoes.

Yesterday I was thinking about how I've been a little stressed that I'm not home yet. While sitting around having such sweet conversation with cousins, I realized my eyes have been looking to the future so often that I've nearly forgotten to enjoy what is right before me! I am so thankful to have so much time this summer with family who live so far away from me. After all, family is the first reason I decided to build a cabin here in the first place. Remember people, as we get wrapped up in everything that is happening around us and distracted by all that is yet to come, there is this moment right now to enjoy.

I emailed this photo to an organization Paul told me about called PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) and they told me this one looked delicious.

The morning light was so pretty reflecting the landscape off the water on the boat ride back.


What a grand adventure we three had!

Captain Ron (Paul) was an excellent navigator.


When you get up at 4:30 for a hunting trip, there is still enough time for a nap before church starts! It was a sleepy day, but I still had enough energy for pizza with the Burnses after the service. And then just to be sure I got enough in one day, I went shopping before driving 120 miles to buy some more shingles for an excellent price. It was a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment