Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gotta Getta Gable, Digging Doing Dormers

Having help is SO productive! For the last couple days, Ryan and I have been working on framing the first of my two gable dormers. It takes a bit of time and work, but everyone assures me it will be a really great value when we're done. Since Ryan has helped me four days, we've put on part of the roof sheets, sheeted both gable ends of the main walls, and framed up most of one dormer.

Here is the East gable with all the sheeting finally done. I had no clue how to get those heavy boards all the way up there and admit I was impressed to see Ryan just take them up a ladder and nail them by himself. Cousin Joel stopped by and laughingly commented that seemed crazy and that he wouldn't do it.


Ryan nailing the last piece of sheeting on the west wall. We made a good team with him doing all the hard stuff and me doing layout and cutting all the sheets he needed from the firm earth below.

Here is what the sheeted gable wall looks like from the interior of the loft.

Yesterday evening, Paul came by my place to show off his new wheels! It was so nice and clean inside and had lots of extra upgrades like a DVD player, seat warmers, and get this, seat coolers. I thought Lynea and I could really get into the whole independent air conditioning system controls for the driver and passenger. If you've ever wondered why someone would have a giant car like this, the answer just might be so they can take all six kids to one place!

Yesterday's sunset, through the loft window.

Lynea did my hair up in braids the last night she was here.

Two weeks later, I had to make a tough choice: take out the braids even though I really enjoyed having them, or commit to dread locks. And yes, I did wash my hair while it was braided, but it was starting to dread anyway. So this happened:

And then I brushed it, and this happened: Long hair is way funner than short hair, gotta say!

Today, I wrastled my hair up under my hardhat, and we made great progress framing the dormer. I feel it adds so much to the house; in looks, in feel, and in value. I was really enjoying standing in the loft looking up at the beauty of the symmetry of all the rafters running together in the dormer, meeting up with the rest of the roof. I can't wait to have both dormers done!

Here is a close-up of the dormer frame so far.

And this is a look at the dormer from within.

My current progress

Man, the sunsets have been this good daily. This one is from this evening. I feel so lucky!

From the front yard
On the drive back to Paul's, the sky turned the prettiest shades of pink and purple mixed with the softly fading blue.

After I finished at my cabin for the day, I went to check in on Nathan Harper's progress on his octagonal cabin. He and Tony are doing a beautiful job so far! I can't wait to see this go up. Before sending me on my way, the Pemberton's fed me the world's most delicious applesauce! Yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment