Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Buying More Stuff

It turns out building a house can be a bargain hunter's fantasy come true! I am loving this. Oh the things I scored today... The biggest purchase I've made so far was the blocks and cement which arrived yesterday for the masonry walls of my basement. Nathan says we will begin construction of my basement walls on Friday, the day after tomorrow.

The boom operator/truck driver had a remote control for moving the crane-like fork lift dealimabob.




The blocks took under an hour to off-load, and then I spent a couple more hours moving blocks into position to facilitate construction.


After my work was all done, Dustin and Joel had me over for another lovely dinner and Paul got to join us too, as he was working in the lab in the evening. I cut out after dinner to go look at some kitchen cabinetry I'm interested in buying. It was a really beautiful set so I offered the seller his asking price of $550 cash which he declined. He thought someone would offer him more today, which was true. He called me this evening to let me know he was offered $600, so I told him I'd go $700. We settled on that and I've got an appointment tomorrow evening to go pick them up. This is one of four pieces included in the purchase. I really hope the price doesn't go up anymore before I get there!


Before I left yesterday, I bought from the same guy these two baseboard heaters for $20 for the pair, about half their retail cost.



Today's shopping began with this Craigslist find. It's a really nice window supposedly valued around $350 I picked up in Brainerd in unused condition for $100.


After I got the window, I got my long-overdue oil changed in Brainerd. While that work was being done, I was treated to this lovely display of my favorite cloud type, cumulus mammatus. As I left the house this morning, I was rain-drenched in the few seconds it took me to get from the garage to my car. Lightning was flashing multiple times per minute and I counted the thunder delay at two seconds. It was incredible and intense. When my oil change was done, the manager of the shop mentioned he'd noticed me taking pictures of the sky. I told him how I love this cloud type and that it's an indication of a dissipating thunder cell.

Then he mentioned casually that at 8:30, about five minutes before I rolled into town, the tornado warning siren went off and a funnel cloud sighting was reported just over Mills Ford, the car dealership pictured above. He looked out briefly before taking shelter in the pit where they change oil and said it was so dark and stormy, he was unable to see across the street to see any tornadoes first hand. I pieced together his story with my schedule and figure I was within 4-5 miles of the alleged funnel cloud. When I first got here, I was baffled that people wouldn't just take cover or drive the other direction when they see a tornado. I'm beginning to understand it's too stormy to see them as they form. Yikes.

The clouds parted, the sun came out, and I proceeded to seek out the world's loneliest antique shop owners who would hold me captive with conversation whether I liked it or not. Everyone was so nice though, like I may as well count on it. We talked about my cabin, their cabins, wolves, cougars, deer, loons, the oil gushing into the gulf, eagles, their relatives in California, my relatives in Minnesota, my truck, his El Camino, and on and on and on ending with the Bean Hole in Pequot Lakes. This the name of a festival where they cook beans in a pit and then serve them up free to all who attend. I bought a baseball mitt for two dollars to supplement the one already in my truck. I got a doorknob set with key for $1.54, a little something for Lynea at a good price, and a western shirt for $1. I even found a sugar bowl and creamer to match that set I was drooling over the other day, in case I ever need to complete the set.

This evening, I decorated my new hard hat with some local flair.


I just got an email this evening about a whole set of 7 new windows I may pick up tomorrow at half their value and I'm hoping to get another heater in the same town as the cabinets tomorrow evening. If I keep this up, I might not even have to go to a store to get my lumber!

No comments:

Post a Comment