Friday, February 1, 2013

Super Ek-sided!

For those of you wondering why I'm not in Minnesota finishing the cabin myself, essentially it's because I'm poor. Not poor like can't eat or party like a rockstar, but poor like don't have thousands lying around to drill a well, yet. I saved a lot of money to begin the project and spent all that and then some to get as far as I did in 2010. The plan when I left was to save up a bunch of money real quick and return to finish. Well, I'm in a pay-off-the-debt-and-then-borrow-for-the-next-critical-building-step cycle. It turns out saving up to finish is more time consuming than originally projected. That's OK, I work toward progress on this house every minute I'm at my job and the dream of the cabin really keeps me motivated to carry on.
Before I left Minnesota, back in Oh-Ten, I wrapped the exterior walls in a vapor barrier similar to Tyvek, as seen above. It's basically a plastic sheeting that would (hopefully) keep moisture from damaging the wooden parts of the house. I think it did it's job, but eventually the material will break down with exposure to sunlight, so it's important to eventually cover the walls with siding. I opted for a vinyl siding material which is not my ideal choice, but is really excellent in certain ways. One, it is the cheapest option so I love it already. Two, it is colored in manufacturing so paint is never required which is a great saving of energy and cost over the years.
What does a fella do when he needs help building his house? He calls a Pemberton! Matthias sent me pictures and his work looks really excellent. Below, he is pictured getting it done, Minnesota style. Truly, I am on pins and needles awaiting my chance to see this progress in person! Matthias reports my house is very tall...
With a little luck, I'll have some pictures from my own camera to add here before the year passes...

1 comment: